Nevada offers the history buff a playground of historic sites to discover. Go underground at one of several Nevada mines, tour a historic courthouse, and explore a ghost town. Nevada’s historic sites provide a look back into the Silver State’s rich history and heritage.
A. There will be no special class of cars; all Fernley 95A Speedway oval track Dwarf Cars run under the same competition.
B. Car body will be of 1928 to 1948 vintage coupe, sedan, sedan delivery, wagon, or pick-up truck. Must have been a production car. All frames and roll cages, including firewall, doors, and rear section framing, must be fabricated as a single frame unit, already forming the actual contour and dimensions of the finished body. Sheet metal outside skins must be secured with Dzus type fasteners, or permanently attached by rivets or spot weld no more than 12″ between each attachment point located at the perimeter of each panel where it meets the roll cage, firewall, or trunk framing. Skin must not bulge or gap open between attachment points. Any gap or hole exceeding 3/8″ must be covered with sheet metal, a plug, or permanent type sealant.
C. No open top cars such as roadsters or convertibles. No convertible bodies with “T” tops. The cars must be replicas of factory stock bodies. They must have full roof of metal construction. All roll cage bracing must be intact, permanently welded. Enter and exit by door only. Doors must be functional and driver must be able to exit from either door safely.
D. No foreign makes. Only closed top (hardtop) American passenger cars or trucks.
E. All cars will be of metal construction. No fiberglass, plastic, nylon etc. No aluminum for frame or roll cage. Outer skin shall be a minimum of 26 gauge steel or .040 aluminum. Firewall between engine and manned compartment is mandatory. There must be a complete firewall, front and rear separating engine and trunk compartments from manned compartments.
SEASON PASS FOR SPECTATORS:
$125.00 – THIS INCLUDES ALL 14 WEEKLY RACES ONLY- NOT INCLUDING SPECIAL EVENTS. MUST PURCHASE BY APRIL 11TH, 2015.
FAMILY 4 PACK- $30
INCLUDES 2 ADULTS & 2 KIDS
Ticket Prices for General Admission for 95A Weekly races
Adults 13 and up. $12.00 Children 6-12, Seniors 63 and over $8.00 Kids under 5 and Military With ID FREE Pit Passes (Non Member) $35.00
WE NOW ACCEPT VISA AND MASTERCARD
Tailgate Prices : Regular admission plus $10 per vehicle. Limit of One 32 quart cooler per vehicle allowed.
Yerington Theatre for the ARTS at The Jeanne Dini Cultural Center
YTA at The Jeanne Dini Center was opened to the public in January 1998 and is home to an eclectic mix of performing, literary, and visual arts. Today, the landmark schoolhouse turned performing arts center is Yerington Theatre for the ARTS in the Jeanne Dini Center, located in the heart of Yerington, Nevada – and is the pride of our community. The Center hosts an intimate theater, meeting and classroom space, and two exhibition galleries. We present an exciting lineup of performances, gallery exhibitions, and special events. We bring arts of distinction from around the world and around the corner to Nevada. YTA in The Jeanne Dini Center is also home to local artists; Mason Valley Wind Spirit Dancers , Danza Azteca, Dini Center Artists, and Shutterbugs Photography Club.
The creation of a museum in Yerington was envisioned during the local celebration of the United States Bicentennial in 1976. In 1978 the Lyon County Museum Society purchased the Seventh Day Adventist Church on Yerington’s Main Street. This building had been a Community Church in the town of Mason since 1911 and had been moved to Yerington in 1930.
More space was soon needed for exhibits, and in 1980 the Annex was added thanks to a grant from the Max Fleischmann foundation. Over the years, new exhibit buildings were moved to the Museum grounds and refurbished, including three one-room school houses, a general store, a blacksmith shop, and an historic gas station. In 2002, a new building devoted to exhibits on mining, railroad transportation, and local historical persons was constructed with a grant from the E.L.Wiegand Foundation. In addition, many outdoor exhibits have been added to the Museum collection over the years. The Lyon County Museum is not supported by Lyon County taxpayers and receives its funding from memberships, donations, memorials, and, most recently, profits from the Lyon County Museum Thriftstore . The Museum is operated entirely by volunteers, including a fifteen member Board of Directors, Museum tour guides, and Thrift Store workers. For more information about the Lyon County Museum, please contact us at 775-463-6576 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Samuel Buckland moved west from Kirkersville, OH in 1850 with the California Gold Rush. In 1859, he purchased land near the Carson River in an area called Pleasant Grove. Soon, his ranch became a stop for the Overland Stage, and in 1860, he had developed a contract with Russell, Majors and Waddell to become a Pony Express stop. Also in 1860, he married Eliza Prentis. Together, they had eight children; only three of which survived into adulthood.
Buckland sold fresh vegetables and other supplies, including barley, hay and cattle, to western emigrants and Fort Churchill staff during the 1860s.
When Fort Churchill was abandoned in 1869, it was sold at a public auction. Samuel Buckland bought all the buildings for $750. He used materials from the Fort to build a new ranch house in 1870. The new building served as a boarding house and a home for the Buckland family. Its 19 rooms included two parlors, a ballroom, a school room, teacher’s quarters and seven bedrooms.
Eliza Buckland died on January 3, 1884 from an infection caused by a cut on her foot. About a year later, in failing health, Samuel Buckland sold his property and went to live with his son George in Dayton. He died three months later.
Samuel, Eliza and five of their eight children are buried in the Post Cemetery at Fort Churchill.
After the Bucklands’ deaths in 1884, the property changed hands several times. Nathan and Amos Stinson kept the property until 1901. It was then sold to the Charles Kiser Cattle Company, which kept it for one year. When Mr. Kiser died, the property was sold to Lon and Charles Towle, who kept the ranch until 1917. Next, the D.C. Wheeler Company held the title for two years, until 1920, when it was sold to the Garaventa Land & Livestock Company. In 1942, the property belonged to the First National Bank in Reno until it was purchased by Norman Biltz and E.L. Cord. Biltz and Cord then created a “game management” operation, the first in Nevada, called the Fort Churchill Shooting Club. Pheasants were brought in from California and released onto the property, but according to state law, only a percentage was allowed to be shot. In 1950, Biltz deeded the property to Mary and John Nash (his daughter and son-in-law) in 1950. Next, Frank Ghiglia bought the property and kept it for 31 years.
The property surrounding Buckland Station was sold to Nevada State Parks in 1995. The building was included in the deal. Renovation began as a joint effort between the Nevada Division of State Parks and Nevada Department of Transportation in 1999.
Visitors to Buckland Station can get a glimpse of early Pioneer life in Nevada on a self-guided tour through the first of the building. There is a short video outlining the history of Fort Churchill and Buckland Station. Once a month throughout the summer season, Buckland Station offers historical lectures and Chautauqua presentations.
Located directly behind Buckland Station are restrooms and picnic tables. Just across the highway is the Orchard Day Use Area (part of Fort Churchill State Historic Park). There are more picnic tables, charcoal grills and a Nature Trail that follows the Carson River and historic agricultural fields.
Fort Churchill was once an active U.S. Army fort . Built in 1861 to provide protection for early settlers, it was abandoned nine years later. Today the ruins are preserved in a state of arrested decay. A visitor center displays information and artifacts of the fort’s history. The Pony Express and the Overland Telegraph once passed through this area. Nearby is Buckland Station, a Pony Express stop, supply center, and former hotel built in 1870. Facilities at Fort Churchill State Historic Park include trails, a campground, picnic area, group-use area and access to the Carson River. Visitors can enjoy hiking, historic and environmental education, camping, picnicking, photography and canoeing. The park is located eight miles south of Silver Springs on Alternate U.S. 95, and one mile on Fort Churchill Road.
PARK ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The year was 1860, and the fear of Indian attacks was at its peak. Talk of Indian atrocities at Williams Station, a Carson River outpost 30 miles east of Carson City, filtered back to Carson Valley settlers, who demanded immediate protection.
Actually, the so-called Pyramid Lake War began on May 12, 1860 when three white men living at Williams Station kidnapped and held prisoner two Indian girls. Their action and refusal to release the girls led to reprisals by the Indians who killed the three men, released the girls and burned the station. Rumors magnified both the number of whites killed and the number of Paiutes thought ready to move against white settlements. Hasty and ill-conceived plans resulted in the movement of 105 volunteers to Pyramid Lake to avenge the deaths of the white men.
In the battle that ensued, the out-numbered whites suffered a major defeat. They lost two-thirds of their original force. The Indians’ decisive victory led to immediate white retaliation. Urgent calls went out to California for regular army troops. The troops, bolstered by additional volunteers, moved against the Indian forces in early June. In this second battle, the out-numbered Indians were forced to retreat. Casualty reports ranged from four to 160 Indians killed while only two whites died.
Captain Joseph Stewart and his Carson River Expedition were then ordered to establish a post on the Carson River. Starting July 20, 1860, tens of thousands of dollars were spent to construct Fort Churchill, the desert outpost that guarded the Pony Express run and other mail routes. Hundreds of soldiers were based here between expeditions against the Indians.
The fort was named in honor of Sylvester Churchill, the Inspector General of the U.S. Army. It was built as a permanent installation. Adobe buildings were erected on stone foundations in the form of a square, facing a central parade ground. The Civil War made the fort an important supply depot for the Nevada Military District and as a base for troops patrolling the overland routes.
The fort was abandoned in 1869, and the adobe buildings were auctioned for only $750. In 1884, the remains of soldiers buried in the post cemetery were moved to Carson City. The remaining graves are those of the Buckland family, pioneer ranchers who sold supplies to the fort.
Nevada initially declined the chance to acquire the Fort Churchill grounds in 1871; it was not until 1957 that the state finally gained title. During the intervening 86 years, the fort served a variety or purposes, from a source of building materials for nearby structures, to a temporary shelter for travelers on the Carson River Trail.
In the early 1930s the Nevada Sagebrush Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution took an interest in preserving the fort and managed to have 200 acres transferred to the state. The National Park Service made restoration plans, and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) renovated what was left of this once proud fort. It was the CCC that built the Visitor Center.
World War II stretched America’s manpower resources, and the fort was again abandoned, falling victim to vandals and weather. A renewed interest in the ‘50s arose, and in 1957 the fort became a part of Nevada’s State Park System. Fort Churchill is an integral part of the history of Nevada and the American West.
A visit to Fort Churchill requires some imagination. The buildings that remain are in ruins; others simply no longer exist, and only markers tell what structures once stood there. The Division of State Parks maintains these ruins in a state of arrested decay.
Coming to Yerington is like taking a day off. It’s a half hour away from the nearest east-west and north-south highways, and getting here is like taking a Sunday drive to a home town you never had. Drive in from the north through Wabuska, down the cottonwood-bowered two-lane highway, with family farms (including the magnificent Masini ranch house on the west side of the road) spread out across the valley on both sides. Or come in through Wellington and Smith from the south and traverse the rich pasturelands of the Smith and Mason Valleys.
Situated in Mason Valley on the Walker River, Yerington began its existence as a small trading post and whiskey store called Pizen Switch, a reflection on the poor quality of the whiskey. When the tiny settlement had grown to hamlet size, municipal pride demanded a more genteel handle and the citizens agreed on Greenfield.
A few years later, in the 1870s, townspeople gambled that renaming their modest burg in his honor would be the decisive enticement for H.M. Yerington to extend a branch line of the Virginia & Truckee Railroad their way. Greenfield became Yerington, but H.M. did not extend the railroad. A railroad finally did materialize in Yerington, but not until the second decade of the 20th century when copper deposits worked briefly in the 1860s were brought back into production. Smelters were built and the Nevada Copper Belt Railroad extended from the mines west of town around the Singatse Range to connect with the Southern Pacific at Wabuska. In the 1920s the district produced copper valued at several millions, but production dwindled after the end of the decade.
After the outbreak of World War II the Anaconda Mining Co. bought control of the major mines, but decided against bringing them into large-scale production because of the long lag time required. When the Korean War broke out in 1950, however, Anaconda brought the mines into production under government contract.
The company built 255 houses on a hillside west of town, creating a rather prim company town called Weed Heights in honor of the mine manager. Digging began in 1952 and two years later the big shovels uncovered the ore. The mining revival came too late to save the N.C.R.R., however, which had torn up its tracks and expired in 1947.
In 1978 copper mining ceased again, and Weed Heights became a sudden ghost town. Bright turquoise-colored water began seeping into the great pit, slowly rising to provide a home for bass and trout.
Now the mine has been developed as an industrial site and an RV park, with campsites around the lip of the spectacular pit and on the benches down deep inside it. Tricycles have appeared on the patchy lawns in front of some of the Weed Heights houses again and the community is coming back to life.
In the Indian Colony there is a monument to Yerington’s only famous native, the Paiute prophet Wovoka. He was a major figure during the final downfall of the Indian nations; his Ghost Dance movement led to the slaughter at Wounded Knee. His vision of the return of the buffalo, and of the Native American lifeways, was an attractive prophecy to a people whose culture was melting inexorably away, and it was fervently believed and spread through the Indian world. The granite monument that sketches his life stands within sight of the fields where his wickiup was a common sight before his death in 1932.
Most of Wovoka’s memorabilia is at the Badlands Museum in North Dakota, but the Lyon County Museum at 215 S. Main displays an interesting variety of frontier relics, from dolls to shooting irons, and including a case devoted to Chinese antiquities found in the area. The museum also includes some standing structures: a one-room eight-grade school house where generations of ranch children were educated, and a 19th century grocery store, stocked and with cash register at the ready. The museum is open week-ends, but on weekdays you can stop in at the Information Center next door and they’ll call a volunteer to come over and give your party the tour.
Yerington boasts the largest trap shooting range in central Nevada, the golf course is open all year, and a weeks-long summer softball tournament attracts teams from all around Nevada and the West. But one of Yerington’s principal attractions is subtler: the unhurried, friendly way people here go about their business. I have watched a man spend ten minutes getting down a single block, amiably passing the time of day with four different neighbors.
For the best view of Yerington and its green valley setting, find a friendly native and ask the way to the dump. Pass the cemetery (after a visit, perhaps) and climb the lumpy hill that rises behind it. No need to go all the way to the dump, unless you’ve accumulated some travel debris; you’ll see a convenient pull-off near the top of the hill where you can park and enjoy a picnic lunch overlooking the little paradise spread below.
Despite its small-town lifestyle, Yerington’s Casino West offers the traditional enjoyments of dice, cards and video slot machines, and a variety of food and lodging is available. Joe Dini’s Lucky Club is another Yerington tradition, along with the historical footnote that Jack Dempsey helped lay the tile floor during his Nevada roustabout years.
And if you are traveling with boys (of any age), stop in at the Yerington Tire Shop on north Main Street and take in the miniature wind-up automobiles made in Germany by Schuco. These are the creme de la creme of toy cars, the fastest clockwork drive models in the world. Some are made with working gearshifts, differential and/or rack and pinion steering. Some, like the 1917 Model T Coupe, with mainspring wound, brake lever set and clutch released, will stand and “idle,” rattling and shaking on their miniature suspensions. They’re all brand new, but some are now out of production and quite rare — toys that any grown-up would be proud to own.
Alpaca breeding, brokering, and boarding – for profit and pleasure : Alpacas produce fabulous fiber which is warmer, softer, and stronger than wool and “best-for-you” as it is organically grown in the USA, comes in many natural colors and is hypoallergenic. Magical creatures with distinct personalities, alpacas are full of curiosity and endearing traits – livestock with pet qualities. They offer tremendous financial potential for those who are interested in a country lifestyle and an investment that can be admired, insured, and which grows…naturally.
In 1985, I saw some television footage of the first alpacas imported to the U.S. I was so intrigued with the wonderful nature of these “cuddly” creatures and the financial rewards of breeding them, that I walked into the office of my then boss and said “let’s quit our jobs and raise alpacas.” The reply was “so what’s an alpaca?” Over ten years later, my dream reached fruition. Typical of those attracted to alpaca ranching, we were looking for a change of lifestyle…a simpler way of life. We knew we would love to own a few acres, but what would we do if we moved somewhere with some acreage, other than raise some of our own vegetables and fruits? It was then that the perfect picture of a gorgeous, fuzzy animal returned to my head and the answer was…”we’ll raise alpacas!” We decided on Grass Valley due to its proximity to major population areas, seasonal tourist population, and it offered the type of terrain we particularly value…rolling hills with oaks and pine along the ridgelines. We also began visiting as many alpacas ranches as possible. As most “wanabe alpaca owners” relate, we were very impressed with the professionalism, friendliness and underlying sense of financial adventure of the alpaca owners we contacted. Between ranch visits and property searching, our weekends were quite enlightening and exciting We moved into our modest 2-bedroom, 2 bath home on a 5-acre parcel in late July, 1998. To our previous count of 3 dogs and 4 cats, we first purchased 2 llamas (guard and companion animals), and two pregnant alpacas. Since then, we have changed the makeup of our foundation herd to include a diversity in bloodlines and we now have over 25 alpacas of our own. We have expanded our operation to include agisting (boarding), brokering, and breeding alpacas. It was our hope to be able to live off the income from the alpacas in about 4 or 5 years, and I am pleased to say that I closed the door on my sales representation company on February 29, 2000 and Paul and I now work full time with the alpacas and it is our only income. We are extremely excited with our progress and have never regretted our decision to change our lifestyle and work focus. Did I mention we choose ” Alpaca Mining Company” as our breeder name? Others look for gold in the ground in this area and have for many, many years. We hope to start a new trend by “mining” for alpacas…hence, the “discovery” of our first “Nugget!” (The name for the first cria born at the ranch). Eureka! We truly believe we have discovered our golden future in this small piece of land and these wondrous animals. The Gold Rush Begins! And so it began….the story continues…in Yerington!
For tens of thousands of years, humans have changed, and have been changed by, this place we now call Yosemite. The Ahwahneechee lived here for generations , followed by the arrival of Europeans in the mid-1800s. The rugged terrain challenged many early European travelers, with just a few—only 650 from the mid-1850s to mid-1860s—making the journey to Yosemite Valley by horseback or stage. By 1907, construction of the Yosemite Valley Railroad from Merced to El Portal eased the journey, thereby, increasing visitation. Today, about 4 million people enter the park’s gates to explore Yosemite. We can learn from the stories of those who walked Yosemite’s trails before us and honor the echoes of their distant footsteps that have led to conscious preservation.
In 1918, Yosemite’s Clare Marie Hodges became the first female park ranger in the National Park Service.
People: Seven present-day tribes descend from the people who first called this area home. As Europeans arrived in the mid-1800s, violent disruption ensued that displaced the native populations. Early white settlers arrived and hosted writers, artists, and photographers who spread the fame of “the Incomparable Valley” throughout the world.
Places: Within Yosemite’s history, various populations thrived and left their mark. From historic mining sites, the remains from miners who came to the Sierra to seek their fortune in gold, to early lodging establishments, like the Wawona Hotel, offered a more primitive setting for the Valley’s first tourists and today’s visitors, and more elegant lodging, like The Ahwahnee, was added to satisfy those looking for comfort.
Stories: History books detail the Mariposa Battalion entering Yosemite Valley in 1851 to remove the Ahwahneechee. As Euro-American settlement occurred, people arrived on foot, on horseback and by rail to rustic hotels. Parts of the landscape were exploited, spurring conservationists to appeal for protections. President Abraham Lincoln signed an 1864 bill granting Yosemite Valley and the Mariposa Grove to the State of California. John Muir helped spark the creation of Yosemite National Park in 1890.
Collections: Yosemite’s resources fill a flourishing museum collection of more than 4 million items. The museum maintains a research library with some 10,000 books relevant to Yosemite, as well as photographs and articles. And, recently, an oral history project has collected interviews of people’s park stories, events, and experiences that captures eye-witness evidence of the past. (Photos: View the NPS Historic Photo Collection through the Harpers Ferry Center for close to 90 images of Yosemite.)
Preservation: The studies of archeology and architecture honor Yosemite’s past. Archeologists systematically study the things left behind to uncover clues about historic and pre-historic cultures, economic systems, settlement patterns, demography, and social organizations. Both landscape architecture and structural architecture are disciplines that help us understand the drivers behind development and choices to make human impacts compatible and enhance the visitor’s experience with their surroundings. Yosemite structures representing the belief that buildings should blend in with natural surroundings.
Research and Studies: Ongoing scientific research abounds at Yosemite from vista management to soundscape preservation to human carrying capacity issues. Yosemite has been building its Division of Resource Management and Science, serving as a public meeting place for scientific symposiums with papers presented at monthly forums. View the schedule for the Yosemite Forum . In addition, the division processes hundreds of research permits every year for its staff and outside interests. Also, learn how Yosemite’s scientists work on a regional level through Inventory & Monitoring .
In Recognition of Yosemite’s Heritage: Yosemite’s strong environmental stewardship has taken shape through key historic events. The park plans to honor its heritage through a series of anniversaries.
- June 30, 2014: 150th anniversary of the Yosemite Grant
- Sept. 3, 2014: 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act
- Sept. 28, 2014: 30th anniversary of the California Wilderness Act
- October 1, 2015: 125th anniversary of Yosemite National Park
- Aug. 25, 2016: 100th anniversary of the NPS
- See the NPS’ ever expanding library of works of high relevance. In the NPS Voyager Library Catalog , an increasing number of digitized texts in the public domain can be accessed via links inserted to records. For other NPS library resources, use the “Quick Links to More Info” bar to search ” NPS Focus ” (a digital library & research station of many collections that offers one-stop seaching).
- Want more NPS history? View the NPS’ history home page , with newly added documents spotlighted on the page. Also, find a history of the National Park Service and an alphabetical list of individual park histories .
- Read the National Parks Second Century Commission’s 2009 comprehensive report , including a cultural resource chapter [612 kb PDF] that pictures a different past in a different future.
- NPS prides itself on its cultural resources as documented in CRM: The Journal of Heritage Stewardship .
- Print out a website cheat sheet on how to navigate Yosemite’s cultural-based webpages. [88 kb PDF]
- Nature & Science : Learn about the park’s ecology section from animals and plants to environmental issues.